March 28, 2011

What Do You Believe?

Over the last several years I have noticed that the church (I’m using that word very broadly) is moving further and further way from doctrine. What I mean by that is that whether in its preaching, teaching, or just in how it describes and defines itself, the church has become less clear, less dogmatic, and gives less emphasis to what the Bible teaches and where it stands in relationship to that teaching. While I’m sure there are multiple reasons for this trend, I fear that the church is trying desperately to appeal to a broad range of people, including those who do not know Christ as Savior. By watering down or eliminating doctrine the church strives to be more tolerant and more appealing, thinking that by doing so it will have a greater and more effective impact upon the world. To those that would follow such a strategy, I humbly point them to the words of Christ is Matthew 10:34-36. Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household.” Based upon what Jesus says, the message of Christ is often unappealing and in fact divides. To try to make the Bible more palatable is only to compromise and distort the very message that Christ declared and that He commanded His disciples to proclaim as well.

With pastors and churches trying desperately to avoid getting pinned down on what they believe and why, I find it necessary to declare my beliefs, not out of arrogance, but for the sake of clarity.

I believe the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God and because it is, it is only resource we need for life and godliness, II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:.

I believe that there is one living and true God and that He is both unity and plurality. While one is essence, He exists in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and is sovereign over all things. He is perfect in all His attributes and deserving of my worship and obedience, Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 45:5-7; Matthew 28:19.

I believe that mankind is born in sin and because he is, he stands condemned before a holy and just God, Ephesians 2:1-3; Romans 3:9-18. His only escape from the power and penalty of sin is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, John 14:6. Apart from repentance of sin and faith in Christ, mankind will suffer God’s eternal and just judgment in hell, Revelation 20:11-15.

I believe the church is God’s primary instrument both for the evangelism of the lost and the edification of the saints. It is within and through this institution that believers find encouragement and accountability in their walk with Christ, II Corinthians 5:17-21; Hebrews 10:24-25.

I believe that one day, Jesus Christ will return to the earth to bring judgment upon sin and to establish His promised kingdom. In that day the promises to the nation of Israel will be fully realized, sin and Satan will be destroyed, and Christ will rule and reign forever, Revelation 21:1-8.

My list of beliefs is far from comprehensive, but you get the idea. In a day when the church is watering down or avoiding doctrine in order to be more appealing, I believe it is time to stand up and be counted, to be bold in our faith, and clear in our convictions. So let me ask you, what do you believe? Is your life grounded upon the Word of God and the work of Christ or something else? Remember, the wise man builds his house (life) upon the rock of Jesus Christ, Matthew 7:24-27.

- Ken

2 comments:

  1. I share your beliefs, Ken. My prayers continue for you to remain true to the Word and proclaim it each week. Stay faithful, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Thank you for starting this blog. We are very blessed by the words you share. Thank you for your willingness and courage to be bold for Christ. May you be an encouragement to all of us.

    ReplyDelete